What’s in season
Now that we are well into summer, it’s the perfect time to be enjoying the wonderful selection of locally grown fruit and vegetables available at this time of the year. Currently in season on the Sunshine Coast are:
Summer is here, and its arrival brings a wonderful selection of fruit and vegetables grown locally. Here’s a list of what’s currently in season in the Noosa region – enjoy!
Enjoy the benefits of eating seasonally and make the most of the late spring fruit and vegetables. In season for the month of November in the Noosa region are:
As we move further into spring, the warmer weather brings with it a delicious selection of fruit and vegetables. In season for the month of October on the Sunshine Coast are:
Here in Noosa we are fortunate to enjoy a wide range of fresh, locally grown fruit and vegetables all the year around. A wander around the Noosa Farmers’ Market on a Sunday morning will confirm this. I am a big advocate of seasonal eating, and with such an array of fresh local produce, there really is no excuse not to plan your meals and menus around the fruit and vegetables that are currently in season. If you need further convincing, here are 10 benefits of eating seasonally and locally grown produce:
1. Produce that is in season locally is at its optimum taste.
2. Better health benefits for you – produce is higher in nutritional value when it is fresh and hasn’t been stored or transported over long distances.
3. In-season produce is at its least expensive.
4. Buying locally and seasonally is better for the environment – less air-miles for the produce to travel.
5. Local, seasonal produce lasts longer.
6. You won’t need to go on a wild goose chase to find what you are looking for – seasonal produce is readily available!
7. Food safety reasons – the fewer steps there are between your food’s source and your table the less chance there is of contamination.
8. Buying locally grown produce supports the local economy.
9. Deprivation leads to appreciation – think how fantastic that first peach of the season tastes!
10. Eating seasonally encourages you to try different foods and experiment in the kitchen.